Specialty – Industrial Design Engineering (IDI)
IDI students receive training in a very wide range of technical, economic, aesthetic and ergonomic factors, applicable to industrial design and creativity.
With the advice of IDI staff, the students have a choice of CCs in this specialty, along which notably:
- Courses common to all GM specialties: resistance of materials, vibration phenomena, electric motor systems, solid-state physics, mechanical engineering properties.
- Material technologies: metals, composites, polymers and material shaping
- Product design basics: ergonomics, value analysis, design methodology, project management, QA, CAM design offices
- Specific of design: formal rules, drawing, volume mock-ups, geometric models, CAD, semiology and product psychometrics, automobile design, project work
- Economic and cultural factors: marketing, technological resource management, technical culture, industrial property rights, arts and society …
The teaching staff comprises research scientist lecturers, designers, graphic artists, and mock-up specialists, plus external lecturers from relevant design industrial sectors, all professionals in design and creative businesses, in communication and innovation.
IDI students have access to means (some provided by design agencies):
- prototyping and mock-up rooms ;
- design software packages (such as Solidworks) ;
- finishing software packages (such as Keyshot) ;
- Adobe software suites ;
- graphic tables …
Placements and industrial relations
It is noteworthy that UTC and the design section are members of associations, promotional institutions for design and industrial creativity, at regional, national and even international levels. UTC is a member of the ICSID (International Council of Societies of Industrial Design) and participates in its Educational Advisory Committee.
IDI has a series of privileged relationships with design schools round the world.
A constant flow of job offers from industry, for design skills in railways, aeronautics, automobiles, consumer goods, health equipment, tools and in functions such as value analysis, industrial design, ergonomics and for institutions such ANVAR, CCI, CRITT, DRIRE.
Enterprises who recruit UTC GM-IDI graduates: ALCATEL, AVENTIS, CANON, CATERPILLAR, CHAUSSON, CNAM, DASSAULT, DECATHLON, EADS, EUROCOPTER, FACOM, GOODYEAR, HEWLETT PACKARD, INERGY, LIGNE ROSET, L'OREAL, MATRA AUTOMOBILES, MICHELIN, PSA, PHILIPS-WHIRPOOL, the review QUE CHOISIR ?, RATP, RENAULT, RONEO, ROWENTA, SALOMON, SEB, SCHNEIDER ELECTRIC, SCHLUMBERGER, SNCF, THOMSON, VALEO, YVES ST LAURENT…
Contact and documentation
Other UTC-IM specialties
- Specialty – Sound and Vibration Engineering (AVI)
- Specialty – Integrated Design in Mechanical Engineering (CMI)
- Specialty – Data Handling and Reliability for Industry (DFI)
- Specialty – Mechatronics, Actuators, Robotisation and Systems (MARS)
- Specialty – Materials and Technological Innovation (MIT)
- Specialty – Integrated Production and Logistics (PIL)
- Specialty – Simulation in Mechanical Engineering (SIM)
- The Apprenticeship Designer Course (CPT)
- The Apprenticeship Industrialisation Course (IND)